2021 JumpStart Competition Rules and Guidelines:
- All submissions must be in PDF format.
- Pilot scripts must not exceed 70 pages. Feature scripts must not exceed 125 pages. All submissions must adhere to standard industry margins and font.
- The competition is open to pilot and feature scripts of all genres.
- Must be written in English in 12-point courier font.
- Do not include any additional documents with your submission i.e. pitch documents, series bibles, look-books, etc.
- All submissions are final. No substitutions of pages, drafts or scripts will be allowed.
- Do NOT cheat in an effort to reduce your page count, your script will be disqualified. As a standard rule, 1.5” left, 1” right and 1” top and bottom dimensions are acceptable.
- You must submit your script with a cover page that includes your script title. The cover page does not count towards the overall script page count.
- It is recommended that you do not include your name, WGA registration number and/or Copyright information.
- While it is not a requirement, we encourage writers to register their script with the U.S. Copyright Office and/or Writers Guild of America.
- All scripts submitted will remain the property of the writer(s). Neither Roadmap Writers nor any of its judges, partners, and/or their respective companies assume any attachment to your work.
- Multiple scripts may be submitted but each script is required to pay separate registration fees.
- Scripts submitted in the competition must NOT have been previously optioned, purchased or produced at the time of entry.
- Screenwriters who have had previous feature or pilot screenplays produced and distributed by non-independent means are ineligible.
- Must be 18 years old and over to enter.
- No TV specs may be submitted (i.e. Veep spec, The Office spec, etc).
- Must be an original idea; free and clear of any copyright issues.
- Material must be the original work of the submitter(s).
- Neither Roadmap Writers nor any of its judges and/or competition partners investigate or confirm the authenticity of an entrant’s authorship rights or claim.
- In the event of multiple writers, please list all additional co-writers.
- Material written by writing teams must be submitted by one of the writers, with consent of the other(s).
- If a writing team places in the competition or is chosen as a winner, prizes will be given to the person who submits the project. Each writing team is responsible for dividing or sharing the prize benefits.
- Entrants may be contacted as a result of the competition by Roadmap Writers, a member of the judging panel, or other industry professionals.
- Only entries that purchase Feedback Notes at the time of submission will receive written feedback.
- Roadmap Writers is not responsible for any technical issue(s) that may arise from electronic submission.
- Roadmap Writers’ JumpStart Writing Competition readers’ decisions are final.
- Submissions will be evaluated by experienced independent industry experts and judged on the criteria of: Premise/Concept, Characters, Dialogue, Story, Structure, and Voice/Style. Submissions will receive multiple evaluations based on the competition's proprietary scoring system.
- Announcement Dates are tentative and subject to change.
- The projected Announcement Dates are:
Quarterfinalists - October 29th, 2021
Semifinalists - November 17th, 2021
Finalists - December 1st, 2021
Winners - December 15th, 2021
- Feedback notes will be returned to writers at the time of the Top 50 announcement.
- The Top 5 scripts in each category will be distributed to and voted on by our esteemed judging panel.
- Roadmap Writers reserves the right, at our sole discretion, to change or modify these terms at any time without notice.
- If a judge or competition partner is no longer able to serve in their specific capacity, Roadmap Writers will make best efforts to secure a replacement. Judges reserve the right not to grant an award.
- By entering the JumpStart Writing Competition, you agree to receive competition updates via email and periodic marketing emails from Roadmap Writers. You may unsubscribe at any time.
- To enter Roadmap Writers’ JumpStart Writing Competition, you must agree to its Rules & Guidelines.
- All sales are final. No refunds will be issued.
About Roadmap Writers
Roadmap Writers is a screenwriting education and training platform for Career Writers looking for a guided path to success. Our programs are hosted by working industry executives and are designed to empower writers with actionable tools and insights to elevate their craft and cultivate relationships with industry professionals. Since 2016, we have helped more than 200 writers sign to representation, and countless others get staffed, optioned, or sell their script.